Bioremediation is an environmentally-responsible, energy-efficient and competitive alternative to disposing of contaminated soil in landfills. It is a proven and effective technology for the decontamination of soils containing an array of organic contaminants — ranging from straight-chain hydrocarbons to polycyclic organic compounds such as PAHs. Biological treatment systems do not involve significant energy inputs or result in the sterilization of the soil — unlike systems involving thermal or chemical processes.
GFL offers ex-situ bioremediation for contaminated soils and will arrange for excavation and transportation to our provincially-licensed soil remediation facilities. Our soil treatment is available to treat contaminated soils from gas stations and commercial, residential and infrastructure properties. We can also treat soils impacted by road salt. Once at our facilities, soil is remediated for re-use as top soil or as fill at agricultural, residential, commercial and/or industrial properties. Ex-situ soil treatment typically requires shorter time periods for achieving the required destruction levels and — due to the ability to homogenize and screen the material — provides greater certainty regarding the uniformity of treatment.
Green For Life’s proprietary software offers peace of mind and cradle-to-grave tracking of all soil including:
- Real-time monitoring of your approval status, loads received and number of BOLs outstanding
- Reports satisfying Records of Site Condition (RSC) or On Site Fill Management Plan criteria and assurance of compliance with environmental requirements
Our treatment capabilities include:
- Seven soil remediation facilities (North York, Toronto, Pickering, Dorchester, Etobicoke, Moose Creek and Brighton — all across Ontario’s Highway 401 corridor)
- Three clean fill sites in Ontario (Table 2:ICC or better)
- One soil remediation facility in Manitoba and one in Saskatchewan
- Receiving, consolidation and disposal of non-treatable soils at licensed disposal facilities
- Biological treatment of highly-organic impacted soils
All GFL soil remediation facilities are licensed and regulated by provincial environmental ministries. They operate to the highest standards of safety and quality, and collectively manage 2 million tonnes of soil per year.