Women in Waste Driver Scholarship
GFL is offering one woman a unique, life-changing opportunity to train as a commercial truck driver and take on an entry-level Residential Driver position with our solid waste team in Halifax, NS, Canada. Read on to learn more and apply!
GFL strongly believes in creating and promoting equal opportunities for women in the waste industry. We’re committed to nurturing the goals and ambitions of our female employees as they strive for success in a traditionally male-dominated field.
Over the last couple of months, female members of our workforce have shared incredible stories of courage, determination, perseverance and skill through our Women in Waste series.
These women have excelled in their jobs, pushing boundaries and challenging misconceptions of the waste industry as a ‘man’s world’.
Their stories have inspired us to create a Women in Waste Driver Scholarship.
- Course fees to complete the Straight Truck Driver Training Program through the Transport Training Centre of Canada in Dartmouth, NS. The recipient will graduate with 120 hours of driver training, a Class 3 Commercial Driver’s License, and the practical skills to take on a professional truck driving role.
- The cost of any other program requirements such as pre-course licensing and medical testing.
- An entry-level, full-time permanent Residential Truck Driver role with GFL’s solid waste residential services team in Halifax, NS, on successful completion of the Driver Training Program. The position will include a living wage, full benefits, group RRSP matching program, ongoing training and mentorship, and opportunities for advancement with the company.
- Mentorship from a female GFL driver-turned-supervisor, Karen Odegard. Karen’s life improved dramatically when she completed a driver training program and took a Residential Driver position with GFL. She has been with the company over 10 years, and been promoted to Residential Route Supervisor. Her personal experience will be an invaluable resource to the scholarship recipient. Read Karen’s story here.
- Identify as female
- Live within Halifax Regional Municipality
- Have a Class 5 driver’s license
- Be 25 or older (for insurance purposes)
- Be available to start driver training in early April 2020
- Have completed a minimum of Grade 8 education
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have basic customer service experience
- Be able to work a shift between 6am to 6pm daily (including weekends)
- Have reliable transportation (to and from work)
- Be physically fit and able to lift 40 pounds or more on a continuous basis
- Have a positive attitude, be a great team player, and be ready to take on a challenge!
The deadline to submit applications for the scholarship is March 6, 2020.* Before applying, please carefully review the criteria above.
To apply, please either:
Submit an email to RecruitCanada@gflenv.com with a brief explanation of why you would be a good candidate for the scholarship and how the opportunity would change your life for the better. Attach a copy of your resume if you wish.
Or: Fill out the form below.
*Please note that if we receive a high level of interest, we may interview applicants to make a final decision.